What is a DFG?

OpeMed are proud to support DFG applications and aim to provide professional and comprehensive advice to our clients. For a break down in the DFG “jargon” please read on…

1. Disabled facilities grants (DFG)

Disabled facilities grants are grants provided by your council (local authority) to help meet the cost of adapting a property for the needs of a disabled person. The scheme operates in England, Northern Ireland and Wales.


VM-Lower-Floor-Door-Open.JPG-886x1024 Hooking-Portable-Motor-on-682x1024 H system being fitted

Who can get DFGs?

To be eligible for a disabled facilities grant, you must be one of the following:

  • an owner occupier
  • a private tenant
  • a landlord with a disabled tenant
  • a local authority tenant
  • a housing association tenant.
  • Some occupiers of caravans and houseboats are also eligible.

If you are one of the above and applying for the grant for someone else who is disabled you need to state this on your application.

The housing grants, construction and regeneration act 1996 is the main legislation for disabled facilities grants.

Who is a disabled person?

You are treated as disabled if one of the following applies:

  • your sight, hearing or speech is substantially impaired
  • you have a mental disorder or impairment of any kind
  • you are substantially physically disabled by illness, injury, impairment present since birth, or otherwise
  • you are registered (or could be registered) disabled with the social services department.

What can you get a grant for?

You can get a grant to help a disabled person:

  • have easier access to and from the property (such as widening doors or installing ramps).
  • make the property safe for the him or her and others living with them (such as a specially adapted room where a disabled person could be left safely unattended or providing improved lighting for a disabled person with sight problems).
  • have easier access to a room used or that can be used as the principal family room.
  • have easier access to a room used or that can be used as a bedroom.
  • have easier access to a room in which there is a lavatory, bath or shower (such as by providing a stairlift).
  • by providing a room in which there is a lavatory, bath or shower, and wash-hand basin.
  • use a lavatory, bath or shower or wash-hand basin.
  • prepare and cook food.
  • by improving or providing a suitable heating system
  • use a source of power, light or heat (for example adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use).
  • have easier access and movement around the home to enable the disabled person to care for someone dependent on them, who also lives there (such as a child, husband, wife or partner).
  • have easier access to your garden or make access to your garden safe for you – your garden can include a yard, outhouse or other facility within the boundary of land attached to your dwelling. It can also include a balcony or land next to the mooring of a houseboat.

– See more at: http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/housing-grants#sthash.AxCWSVrf.dpuf

The above information was provided by http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/housing-grants


Information on Ceiling Hoists